Monday, September 12, 2011

Windows to Heaven

September 10th marks the completion day of icon #2 The Guardian.  My teacher is now confident enough in my writing skills that no longer am I considered "student" in her class.  She now calls her protege an assistant in her workshop.  I will be going on workshop tours and talks with her as well.  Judy is an excellent teacher, and I will continue my icon writing with her on Saturday mornings for guidance, but mostly the fellowship and to assist her now that I've brought two new students to her workshop.  Cindy a seminarian student on campus started with us this past Saturday, and Amanda a student spouse started two weeks ago.  My enthusiasm for this devotional experience is spreading on campus.  I have even been honored to be asked by our resident professor Fr. Steven Paey to write an icon for use on campus.  We will be discussing the details on this specific icon soon.  However, next I've already started one of Mary, Mother of Tenderness.  It is a beautiful depiction of a mother's devotion for her child and I am working on this for Heather.  We been through a difficult summer and this icon has been calling me to represent the bond between us.  The Guardian has been a joy to work on, and I am so happy for it to come to completion.  Michael of course, was my first and I see a big difference in the two.  When I began the icon writing workshop with Judy last fall, I was not prepared for the overwhelming amount of emotion, joy, and spiritual enlightenment that would come with this exercise.  Praying with icons was not a reality in my spiritual life.  It was not until I realized the focus that came with praying with icons that made me understand the true value of this experience.  Veneration of an icon is like kissing the picture of a deceased loved one, an adoration to the image it represents.  Icons are like a Window to Heaven, giving a mere glimpse of those watching over us on earth.
 



 Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord from the heavens.
Praise God, in the heights.
Praise God, all you angels.
Praise God, all you hosts.
Praise God, sun and moon.
Praise God, all you stars of the light.
Praise God, you heavens of heavens,
and you waters above the heavens. 

Let them praise the name of the Lord,
for God commanded and they were created,
God established them forever,
making a decree that will never pass away.




Other September happenings.  Today, Heather is excited to announce she got her first job!  She starts working tomorrow at Spirits!  It is a seasonal Halloween store, and seems like it is going to be a fun first job experience for her.  She is so happy.  I'm proud, and alittle remorse of the idea that my baby is old enough to even have a job.  Thank you Lord, for all of your provisions and guidance in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment